"How to Setup Network - 10 Solid Steps to Help You Configure Network Settings in Windows XP"
How to setup network here continue with software configurations using Windows XP.
Please note that make sure that you already connects all the cable and power on the switch before you do the software settings. If you are unsure, please read another tutorial on networking hardware setup.
Following are the steps to follow to complete your network setup either at home or at your small office.
How to setup network ? - Configures Network Sharing
- Turn on each PC that you have attached to the network.
- From the Start button, click Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel dialog box displayed, click the Network and Internet Connections link.
- From the Network and Internet Connections dialog box displayed, click the Set up or change your home or small office network link.
- A Network Setup Wizard will pop-up, click Next (x4)
- Key in Computer name: Give a unique computer name that can represent 'you'. Note that you must use the DIFFERENT name for each computer in the network.
- Click Next to continue.
- Key in Workgroup name: All the computers in the entire workgroup MUST use the SAME workgroup name.
- Click Next (x2)
- Choose the last option, 'Just finish the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other computers.'
- Click Next button.
- Click Finish button to finish the configuring process.
- Click Yes button to restart the computer.
Share C: drive
- Double-click the My Computer icon on the computer desktop.
- Right-click on the Local Disk (C:) and choose Sharing and Security.
- From the Local Disk (C:) Properties window, in the Sharing tab, click 'If you understand the risk
- Select the both options: Share this folder on the network and Allow network users to change my files.
- Click Apply and OK button to complete the setup.
View and accessing other PCs files
- Double-click My Network Places icon on the computer desktop.
- You should be able to see all the computer that connected to the network, if not do any one (or all) of the following to refresh the PCs:
- Press F5 key several times
- Log off the computer
- Restart the PC
- In the My Network Places window, double-click on the particular computer name that you want to access. Double-click the C: drive again to access the contents of the PC.
To summarize, here are the 3 simple steps to answer your question on how to setup network:
1. Install and verify the NIC driver
2. Configure Network Sharing
3. Browse the Network
Can't find what you're looking for? Try Google Search!
Related Computer Training Links:
Back to Top
You're viewing the how to setup network info page, click here to go back to the Home Page