"The Start Menu: Where You Get Started to Use Windows Vista"
The Start Menu provides a launch point for the application, which means if you wish to start a program or accessing applications available in Vista, just click on the start button to get started. The start button located at the left hand side bottom of the window.
To display the Start menu
- Press the keyboard Windows key OR
- Click the Start button on the desktop
Working with the Start menu
- Click either frequently used programs at the top left of the Start menu or recently used programs just below them.
- Click All Programs to display a list of all programs on your computer. You can click any program in the list to open it.
- Use the Start Search box to search any files or folders in the computer.
- Click the Power button icon to keeps your session in memory and put the computer in a low-power state.
- Click the Lock button to lock your computer.
- Click the arrow next to the Lock button to display a menu of choices for shut down, restart, logging off computer, switch user, etc.
Working with the Quick Launch Bar
To locate the Quick Launch bar
- Right-click the Taskbar and move to Toolbars and click on Quick Launch from the shortcut menu.
To add application to the Quick Launch bar
- Right-click any application in the Start menu or on the Desktop and then choose Add to Quick Launch OR
- Click and drag any application to the Quick Launch bar.
Working on the Desktop
To create a desktop shortcut
- Choose Start, point to All Programs and locate the program on the list of programs that you wish to make a shortcut to the desktop.
- Right-click on that program, and point to Send To and click on Desktop (create shortcut).
- The shortcut appears on the desktop. Double-click the icon to open the application.
To arrange icons on the desktop
- Right-click the desktop and choose View from the shortcut menu; be sure that Auto Arrange option isn't selected.
- To arrange desktop icons manually, just click any icon and drag it to another location.
- Alternatively, you can right-click the Vista desktop and from the shortcut menu, choose Sort By and then click the criteria for sorting your desktop shortcuts.
Restart and Shut Down Computer
To restart or turn off computer
- Choose Start and then click the arrow to the right of the Lock button.
- From the shortcut menu appeared, choose Restart to restart the computer or Shut Down to turn off the computer.
Can't find what you're looking for? Try Google Search!
Other Computer Training Links:
Back to Top
You're viewing the Starting Vista info page, click here to go back to the Home Page